Ladies, if you work 8-5 or if you run your own business, I bet this sounds familiar:
- Gaining weight
- Bigger in the bottom
- Bigger in the waist
And you’re feeling:
- Foggy in the head
If you’re nodding your head in agreement, guess what--excessive sitting is the culprit.
SITTING IS YOUR ENEMY
Excessive sitting has been linked to:
- Heart Disease (The #1 killer of women in the United States, more than all cancers combined!)
- Muscle and joint problems plus neck and shoulder problems as well
That’s the short list and that’s enough for now except for this rather horrifying fact: after 30 minutes of sitting your metabolism has slowed 90%. (Ew, I know.)
So the reason you feel frumpy, overwhelmed, exhausted, and worried about your health and your expanding rear end is because you sit too much and you sit too much because you work 8-5 or more!
Excessive sitting is the problem! So what’s the solution? Most women believe that a hard daily workout is the solution but it’s not. Science has shown us that even a grueling workout isn’t enough to fully compensate for excessive, prolonged sitting. What is?
Moving more throughout your day reduces the health risks of excessive sitting. Moving more is your friend!
Science shows us:
- Humans were not designed to sit at a desk all day hunched over a computer, even though that’s what most of us are doing!
- Sitting all day is incredibly unnatural to our biology and our genetics.
- Organic movement throughout our day is our natural pattern. It’s what we were designed to do.
- Taking walking breaks (5-minute brisk walks for every 30 minutes of sitting) is the best way to offset the damage caused by sitting.
- The first time you take a walking break, the positive effects are immediate.
- This one small shift in your work day could save your life.
Some of the health benefits you’ll get from moving more throughout the day are:
- Less pain
- Less fatigue
- Lowered risk of developing chronic diseases
- Lowered risk of dying early
- Reduced back pain
- Increased productivity
- Increased metabolism
- Increased muscle tone
- Increased energy
- Improved mood
Moving more throughout your day is as simple as taking a 5-minute walking break after you’ve been sitting for 30 minutes. Researchers have proven that this simple shift from prolonged sitting to moving more can offset the damage caused by sitting because it returns us to a pattern of organic movement, which is what we’re designed to do!
Moving more throughout your day is the rock solid foundation for a healthy, happy, long life. The easiest way to start moving more is to set a timer to go off after 30 minutes of sitting. The timer on your phone will do nicely. Then when the timer goes off, get up and go for a brisk 5 minute walk around your office to reset your metabolism, refresh your thinking, and renew your spirit.
Do this one simple shift for just a couple of weeks and you will begin to feel and see a difference--one you will love. Move more, look and feel better, establish a foundation of health to build on--what could be better?